Some years ago I moved to France for personal reasons. Very soon I started to discover that the funniest activity to do in this country is to look at French and discover how good and famous they think they are.
Personally, as an Italian, I find that my country is much more interesting to visit and that Rome is much more worth a visit than Paris. Why? Go through this site and find it out by yourself!
I will therefore not hesitate to publish funny things on this pompous country and on the people who live there, and to publicise my discoveries to the whole world. No sorting order whatsoever. I'll just follow my instinct, describing events as I remember them and taking inspirations from everyday life.
If you are French and you are not humble enough to accept comments or critics on your country, then leave this page before starting to get hurt. If you want you can leave your comments too, but, please, don't be vulgar, or I'll cut them off.

3 Apr 2008

Mispelling recipes

French have a common habit for misspelling Italian recipes names: take any of the pizza recipes and in France you'll find many different ways of writing them.

As background information, I can say that just a few real original recipes do exist:
  • Pizza Napoletana
  • Pizza Margherita
  • Pizza Quattro Stagioni
  • Pizza Quattro Formaggi
  • Pizza Capricciosa
Happily enough, in Italy there is a bill to safeguard the traditional Italian pizza, specifying permissible ingredients and methods of processing. Only pizzas which followed these guidelines could be called "traditional Italian pizzas", at least in Italy.

Italy has also requested that the European Union safeguard some traditional Italian pizzas, such as "Margherita" and "Marinara". The European Union enacted a protected designation of origin system in the 1990s.

Here's the links to the related websites: Pizzeria italiana tradizionale

But I am not writing this post to talk of ways of making pizza. My aim is to show how Frenchies misspell our recipes, by simply inventing words that do not exist!
Let's take for instance Pizza Margherita, many transcriptions can be found in the restaurant menus or even on recipes websites:
  • Pizza Margarita
  • Pizza Marguerite
  • Pizza Marguarita
  • Pizza Margharita
  • Pizza Margiarita

etc, etc, etc...

This is very deceiving to me! I can't get how people starting-up a restaurant cannot have a look in an Italian dictionary to find the right word to use... Should I open a restaurant and put down a list of dishes, I would first check their correct spelling, especially for foreign recipes. How can a hungry customer looking for an italian meal trust a would-be Italian Restaurant that wrongly spells recipe's names?

The correct form is "pizza" and "pizze" in the plural. Not "pizzas".

"Napoletana" and not "Neapolitana" or "Napolitana" or "Napolitenne" or "Napolitaine".

"Salame" in the singular and "Salami" in the plural form.

And "Panini" is the plural form for "Panino": you can't ask for a panini!! But you can ask for a panino or for two panini. That's not that difficult, isn't it?

I really would appreciate Italian Restaurants in France mangling Italian recipes names. And maybe they could count on more eager customers to come and taste. In the meantime I won't hesitate to publish on my blog pics of funny Italian unbelievably misspelled menus that I will find during my stay in France. And I am sure you will enjoy...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this post very much... especially since one of my favorite things to do in Italy was to assist restaurant owners and shop keepers with the English misspellings and grammar mistakes on signs and menus they produced. I don't believe I ever found a single menu with English translations for Italian dishes to have less than a dozen or so errors. I think the difference is that Italians would always thank me for taking the time to let them know of the errors whereas the French... one can only imagine the gestures and conversations that would ensue.

Keep up the good work,

- Robert Bisohp (oops I misspelled my name)

Anonymous said...

The world is so small... The very same thing happens with Italian menus all around the world. I haven't ever found an Italian Menu without dozens of mistakes in every place I went

Anonymous said...

Relax... And go eat some pizzas... here in Brasil, or Brazil if you prefer so, we do say pizzas too. And your margherita is marguerita although it sounds almost the same. Well! Diferences apart, I really have to say thanks to you italians for that invention!!!
Best wishes,
Rafael