Some years ago I moved to France for personal reasons. Very soon I started to discover that the funniest activity to do in this country is to look at French and discover how good and famous they think they are.
Personally, as an Italian, I find that my country is much more interesting to visit and that Rome is much more worth a visit than Paris. Why? Go through this site and find it out by yourself!
I will therefore not hesitate to publish funny things on this pompous country and on the people who live there, and to publicise my discoveries to the whole world. No sorting order whatsoever. I'll just follow my instinct, describing events as I remember them and taking inspirations from everyday life.
If you are French and you are not humble enough to accept comments or critics on your country, then leave this page before starting to get hurt. If you want you can leave your comments too, but, please, don't be vulgar, or I'll cut them off.

3 Mar 2008

France versus Italy. Once again.

Italy is not at all a good rugby team. I have always known it. I have been living in Italy for many many years and I have never met any rugby man.

When we are young we go to school. And we learn to play football, mainly on the streets. This must be typical of any Latin country: youngsters play football everywhere, anywhere, with any sort of ball and don’t ask for much more. I was one of them.

Rugby does not interest us.

In Rome, where I lived, two stadiums are close together: At the time I used to go watching football matches at the Stadio Olimpico and I have always seen the neighbouring Stadio Flaminio, which in theory is a rugby field, embarrassedly empty. No one was ever playing there.

I often asked myself what it had been built for (even if being beautifully bordered by impressive statues of athletes of the fascist period) .
Now I discover that, on March 9th, we will be playing a rugby match against France at the Saint Denis stadium in Paris. Italy is in fact taking part in the 6 Nations Rugby Tournament, where England, France, Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Italy itself play to become European Champion.

How fun. How can we be participating in such an important competitions when nobody in our country even knows that a sport such rugby exist? How is that possible? Where has the Italian trainer found players to attend the event? I have no answer for this.

But I am happy. I am happy because the fact that we are taking part in such an important sporting event shows that new ways of thinking are growing in Italy: football is no more the only recreational sport we know. I am happy also because such a match gives us a good opportunity to brave France, notwithstanding the Frenchies evidently overwhelming power. And to show them that Italy is getting ready to become a strong leader in the rugby domain too. Maybe this time we will not win. Maybe we are heading for disaster. But it doesn’t mind.
I understand that we are progressing. And I would very much assist a final against France, just like in the football world cup, and see my country beatin’ them as they deserve.

But I have to admit it will take a very long time. And I have to say I have always appreciated the way the French educational system grows up their youth, by letting them try many different sports and not only football. I myself wish could have had that chance. But it wasn’t so.

So, as for rugby, both countries are getting ready for this match. French have no doubt on the result. And Italians hopes will surely be deceived. But, please, support Italy. And the day we will win I can assure you will like the face those pompous French will adopt.

Because they detest being beaten by Italy!

No comments: