Some years ago I moved to France for personal reasons. Very soon I started to discover that the funniest activity to do in this country is to look at French and discover how good and famous they think they are.
Personally, as an Italian, I find that my country is much more interesting to visit and that Rome is much more worth a visit than Paris. Why? Go through this site and find it out by yourself!
I will therefore not hesitate to publish funny things on this pompous country and on the people who live there, and to publicise my discoveries to the whole world. No sorting order whatsoever. I'll just follow my instinct, describing events as I remember them and taking inspirations from everyday life.
If you are French and you are not humble enough to accept comments or critics on your country, then leave this page before starting to get hurt. If you want you can leave your comments too, but, please, don't be vulgar, or I'll cut them off.

4 Mar 2008

Sarkozy, Basescu, Merkel. And the pen of destiny.

You may have heard it: some days ago French President Sarkozy was visiting Romania to launch a strategic partnership with the former communist country. During his visit in Bucharest, Nicolas Sarkozy met President Traian Basescu and signed a declaration for a partnership focused on defense and security. Just after signing he fell in love for the pen he had just been using and decided to keep it for himself, as showed in many videos.

This action has been widely criticised in France. Many people complained about the fact that he could have afforded buying any pen and that he needed not begging the Romanian president.

Yesterday, German Chancellor Angela Merkel and French President Nicolas Sarkozy met and, after talking about a Mediterranenan Union project, the former offered the latter a pen to add to his collection. Evidently she was making fun of him publicily (many journalists were present, as you can see in this video here...) .

How wonderful! Everybody is making fun of the French President now. First his own people. Now even a european leader. I think that all of this is evidently due to the incredible development of medias. Being able to watch important people makes us discover that they are exactly just like us: common people.

Sarkozy is one of us. He can steal a shining pen. Angela Merkel too is one of us. She can make jokes.

At the same time all of this is historically very shocking:
  • I have always taught of German people as serious people. I dont know why. Maybe it is just an historical heritage. And I seen the german chancellor getting excited.
  • At the same time, I have always taught of Frenchies as honest people. Or, if I give it a second thought, Frenchies have always believed that Italians were thieves.

As far as I can see the world is changing. Germans are at last making jokes, French begin to steal and Italians... well, no, I don't think Italians are getting serious or honest... but this is how we are. And we like ourselves very much!

P.S. Italywise, I suggest you to look at this funny movie gag: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj6Epj-J7R0

No comments: